ASSESSMENT OF VARIATION IN FRUIT MINERAL CONTENTS OF CUCUMBER GERMPLASM OF PAKISTAN

Main Article Content

Ahmad Raza
Chaudry Muhammad Ayyub
Muhammad Awais Ghani
Nisar Ahmad

Abstract

Cucumber (Cucumis sativus) is the only taxon with 2n= 2x= 14 chromosomes in genus cucumis. Twenty
five germplasm of cucumber collected from Ayub Agricultural Research Institute, (AARI) Faisalabad and
National Agriculture Research Center (NARC) Islamabad, Pakistan. This study was carried out at
pomology lab, Institute of Horticultural Sciences, University of Agriculture, Faisalabad, Pakistan to find
out biochemical diversity in fruits of selected cucumber germplasm. The outcome of this experiment will
aid in breeding nutritionally better germplasm for improving their economic returns. Cluster analysis and
principle component analysis were performed for classifying germplasm of cucumber on the basis of
similarities and dissimilarities in biochemical attributes of nitrogen contents, moisture contents, potassium
contents, phosphorous contents, Ascorbic acid, protein contents, sodium contents and calcium contents by
employing XLSTAT 2018. Results of principle component analysis (PCA) for biochemical traits showed
that major first two principle components/factor showed 38.84% and 16.93% (total of 55.77%) of the total
variability. Cluster analysis of each germplasm of cucumber from Pakistan clustered germplasm into main
two clusters with 48.09% within class diversity and 51.91% between classes variability. Diversity in fruit
mineral contents was highest in C-3428, C-571.

Article Details

How to Cite
Ahmad Raza, Chaudry Muhammad Ayyub, Muhammad Awais Ghani, & Nisar Ahmad. (1). ASSESSMENT OF VARIATION IN FRUIT MINERAL CONTENTS OF CUCUMBER GERMPLASM OF PAKISTAN. International Journal of Agricultural and Environmental Research, 6(1), 35-40. Retrieved from https://ijaaer.com/ojs/index.php/ijaaer/article/view/215
Section
Agricultural Sciences
Author Biographies

Ahmad Raza


Institute of Horticultural Sciences, University of Agriculture, Faisalabad, Pakistan

Chaudry Muhammad Ayyub


Institute of Horticultural Sciences, University of Agriculture, Faisalabad, Pakistan

Muhammad Awais Ghani


Institute of Horticultural Sciences, University of Agriculture, Faisalabad, Pakistan

Nisar Ahmad

Centre of Agricultural Biochemistry and Biotechnology, University of Agriculture, Faisalabad, Pakistan.